Thursday 16 February 2012

Wednesday, 15 February 2012


(I pass this graffiti every week, and I can't figure out where Nestle's Milky Bar fits into the teachings of Christianity.)

Do writers use characters as vessels for their own ideas? Do they put their less tasteful, less acceptable ideas into their characters so they can disassociate themselves from those ideas when necessary? Obviously I'm not advocating Tyler Durden's approach to modern life, just presenting it. I personally don't see the erotic side of drinking blood, but I think it's interesting so I write about it. But if you are able to dismiss your characters' philosophies, systems and habits, then you must have some of your own that you genuinely believe in. Do you? Or are you flailing wildly around in the literary world, looking for what you can't find in the real world?

No comments:

Post a Comment